A Leader In the Community
A dedicated community advocate and volunteer, John is driven by his desire to give back to the City that has given so much to him and his family. That’s why he’s been hard at work for us for years, safeguarding our neighborhoods, advancing the well-being of our people and improving the health of our business community.
“If you want to understand an organization’s priorities, you need to understand how they spend their money.”
He currently serves as Vice Chairman, and facilitates commission meetings when required.
Commission Functions Include:
- Meet bi-monthly with Treasurer and City Staff to receive, review, comment and approve mid-year and annual city budgets for City Council approval.
- Receive, review, comment and approve Redondo Beach City’s investment policies, review the City Treasurer’s quarterly reports.
- Participate in a joint meeting with the Public Works Commission to review, receive and file the City’s CIP budget and workload.
The NRBBA is dedicated to helping local business grow.
In 2014, John was elected President in 2014. He served as Treasurer since joining in 2011. As President, he presides over Board Meetings and budgeting process, and runs the monthly General Meetings with 40+ attendees.
The NRBBA meets the 2nd Thursday of the month, 8:00am at the RB Public Library, North Branch.
Please visit the NRBBA website at www.NRBBA.org
John leads the association in the following initiatives:
- Engage with City for restoring Artesia Blvd. back to Redondo Beach Blvd.
- Engage with City for exploration into starting a B.I.D. (Business Improvement District)
- In April and May, plan, organize and sponsor two annual community events:
SpringFest – City “Featured” event, at the Performing Arts Center, 5,000+ Attendees.
Walk About Redondo – Community event to promote walking and introduce residents and local businesses to encourage local shopping, co-sponsored with the Beach Cities Health District. 400+ Attendees.
- Provide 2-3 annual scholarships to Redondo Union High School Seniors interested in becoming small business owners.
- Increase NRBBA attendance. Meetings are now seen as great networking opportunities and an important source of business and local information for residents and local businesses.
Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce & Visitor’s Bureau – Exec. Board Member, Treasurer - 2011 to Present
John & Cynthia have been Proud Chamber members since 2008.
John’s businesses have prospered because of their association with the Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce.
True to form, John has volunteered to take on increasing responsibility within the Chamber, to give back to this organization and the business community.
John has represented North Redondo Beach businesses on the Board since 2011, and was named to the Executive Board as Finance Chair / Treasurer in 2015.
As Finance Chair/Treasurer, John is responsible for the following:
- Review and present the Chamber’s and Visitors Bureau’s budgets, sign checks, and address any budget questions from the RBCC Board members.
- Assist and review the “true up” of the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) figures that the Redondo Beach City contractually collects and distributes to the Redondo Beach Visitor Bureau.
As an Executive Board member:
- Review Chamber’s contract with the City of Redondo Beach,
- Review and finalize the Board agenda items.
- Assist the Chairperson and CEO with issues that arise
- Approve projects and resolutions for full vote at the Chamber Board meetings.
John attends and volunteers for various Chamber Events, including: Lobsterfest, the Superbowl 10k, Network Cafés and Annual Mixers.
Leadership Redondo cultivates and trains Redondo’s current & future community leaders.
Year one is devoted to intensive study about Redondo Beach’s resources, citywide vital issues and residents.
For the final 6-months, the group completes a class project, to give back to the City of Redondo Beach.
Leadership Redondo, Class of 2012:
John served as Co-Project Leader. He led his 22-person Leadership Class to raise $17,500 for a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) trailer for South Redondo.
The project was delivered on time and on budget.
Leadership Redondo, Alumni:
Inspired by the Leadership Class of 2004, John took their class project: “Speaking of Redondo” videos – personal testimonials about Redondo Beach – and created a website to present these important videos online.
Check out http://SpeakingOfRedondo.Wordpress.com to view these videos.
The Redondo Beach Round Table brings community leaders together.
Established in the 1960’s, the Redondo Beach Round Table is a select group of community leaders, Redondo Beach City Personnel, Redondo Beach City Council members, RBUSD Board Members and business community leaders that meet quarterly to review and discuss significant issues within Redondo Beach.
John was asked to join the RB Round Table in 2014 and regularly attends the quarterly meetings.
Looking out for Small Business.
Appointed by 66th District Assembly Member David Hadley, John meets quarterly with the Assembly Member and when he needs assistance, to review small business-related California Assembly legislation and provide guidance and comments for the Assemblyman’s review.
“You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”
The goals of the program are accomplished through lectures, hands-on training, demonstrations and a ride-along with a police officer.
Please click here for more information on the Citizen Police Academy.
Participants meet for three hours, one night per week, for 13 weeks. The information covered includes:
- Police Training
- Traffic Enforcement
- Criminal Investigations
- Police Patrol & Ride-Along
- K-9 Demonstrations
- Vice & Narcotics
- Crime Scene Investigations
- Firearms and the Police Range
- Police Dispatch & Communications
- Pier & Harbor Patrol
- The Jail & Justice System
Neighborhood Watch is an effective way to keep our City safe!
The Neighborhood Watch Program in Redondo Beach consists of active citizen involvement where residents, in cooperation with the Redondo Beach Police Department, directly participate in the detection and prevention of crime.
John has been an active Neighborhood Watch Block Captain since 2009.
In 2015, John helped implement a new “business” neighborhood watch program with the NRBBA.
As a Block Captain, John currently:
- Engages neighbors by holding “meet and greets” at the green belt areas to educate neighbors on neighborhood watch.
- Works with Neighborhood Watch personnel to attend meetings
- Receives periodic Neighborhood Watch reports via email and sends to other residents.
- Monitors Nextdoor.com to be aware of potential local issues.
- Active Community Member of the Redondo Beach Parent & Teachers Association (PTA)
- Member of the TedxRedondoBeach planning committee
- Member of the Walteria Businessmen’s Club (Torrance)
- Business Networking International (BNI) – Past President, Manhattan Beach Business Networking Chapter